April 03, 2012

My start


This is my Dad.   WAS my Dad.  

When I think of him now,  I remember an 1976 Olive green Ford that smelled like corn dust and old oil.  I remember butter pecan ice cream at night.  I remember softball in the fields.  I remember his "presence".  What you saw was nothing compared to what was hidden in that smile, or hug, or "What you thinkin' about?"  All I needed some days was an arm over my shoulder.  That arm could have stopped armegeddon.  To me it symbolized protection, deeper love I could ever imagine, and a stronghold from which I could leap from.

He died from a massive heart attack when I needed him most, or thought I did.  I found out my wings could hold me.  I've smashed into trees, flew too high and lost my breath, and flew into places I didn't know how to get out of.  However, through all, I've stayed in the air.