September 25, 2012

"Put me in Coach!"

John the Baptist was an interesting person.

His mom and dad were OLD and yet God saw fit to bless them with a child after years of prayers.  Zachariah's response?  "And, NOW you come?"  So God shut him up for a while.  Elizabeth just said a HUGE "Thank you".   Smart woman.

Even while in Elizabeth's belly, John was filled with the Holy Spirit and leaped for joy when Elizabeth saw Mary coming.  John REALLY knew what was coming.

While growing up, John lived by himself in the wilderness and listened to God's voice guiding him and giving him tips on how to recognize Jesus.

Finally when John started his public showings, he paved the way to alter people's ideals of a prophet, to focus on the truth and told people to look deep in their hearts to change and follow Jesus.

John was very clear with the Pharisees.  They were clearly expecting another "more worthy" person to save the world.  They could not see past their rules and regulations and self made importance to open their hearts to see the truth and the light standing in front of them.

“You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire." Luke 3:7-9
Just seeing Jesus, John recognized the honor and glory that was with Jesus and was happy to "decrease".
“A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven. 28 You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, ‘I am not the Christ, but I have been sent before him.’ 29 The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete. 30 He must increase, but I must decrease.”  John 3: 27-30


Even with all this, while John was in jail after pissing Herod off, he sent word via the disciples to ask Jesus, "Are you the one, or should I wait for another."

Jesus promptly did miraculous things and sent word to John about the power given to him from heaven.
 “Tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up and the poor have the gospel preached to them.” 
And then said, "And blessed is he who keeps from stumbling over Me " Luke 7:23

I was amazed at this.....John the Baptist who was compared to Elijah, has his doubts.  I recently had my own John the Baptist moment.  I felt like a pawn in God's kingdom.  I had my own expectations on what God should do and where I belong in this world.  After a couple of days wallowing in my own pity pot and sour emotions, I started listening and was told gently but firmly to wait.  God came with HIS GLORY and HIS GRACE and reminded me He has everything under control.  

He doesn't need our approval, God has been around since the beginning of time and He will do things all for our good and prosperity.....IN HIS OWN TIME.

So chillax and bask in His Glories and Wonders.