March 15, 2010

peal with me

The earth has a rhythm.  If you are out in nature for a time, you find yourself walking in time with it.  It's not a march, or a tiptoe.  It's how water runs through a stream or how a bird's calls come with it's own cadence. 

After being out on one of the warmest days in March I can ever remember, the morning after had me gasping for breath.  I felt like I was pregnant and completely zapped of energy. 

I sat out in the sun in the early afternoon and apart from feeling the sun soak into my soul, I could not take a deep breath.  Until I heard a robin peal out in the tree above me.  Everything let go and I laughed.  A bubbling laugh that exploded...kind of like milk shooting through your nose at a unexpected joke. 

I have felt my "wings" have been clipped.  Not by anyone in the house or by the seasons.  It is because of the proximity of the streets, houses, people, cars, the amplified gas station attendant a block down saying "PUMP 3, YOU ARE READY", etc.

I pray that robins include me in their bewitchment more often until I can find 5 acres or more all to myself where I can spread my wings.