July 05, 2012

Stack of one pancake please...

My daughter has started to follow in my footsteps with the love of cooking.  She has made spaghetti, tuna salad and a cookie cake.  Not just once, but several times.


All VERY good.  And she knows it.


Now she is learning to follow recipes.  She did a very good job even when she had to cut all the amounts of ingredients in half.  She loves a high stack of pancakes, and a half recipe of these pancakes makes a stack of 5 size able fluffy pancakes. 


As I'm washing dishes, I start smelling a hot, burning, sugar smell you only get from pancakes.  I don't turn around and wait for her to ask for help.  With all of her projects, school and challenges she faces, she is also following this not so very good quality of mine.... not asking for help.


After about 5 minutes... in a very disappointed, frustrated, and dejected voice, "MOOOOM, these pancakes aren't turning oooouuuuut!"


Thus starts the lesson... and as I'm teaching her the lesson of added sugar in batter makes for increased toasty-ness  AND  patience makes for less gooey-ness   AND   less heat makes for that beautiful tan/brown-ness on either side of the pancake  AND  asking for help in the beginning give you a wonderful stack of 5 perfected, warm pancakes.


I realized, through all this, God was talking to me... AGAIN....


ASK... and I will help you.  SEEK and you will find perfection in HIM.  FIND and you will be comforted.... not with a stack of perfected, warm pancakes but something better....with his LOVE, GRACE and MERCY.