August 18, 2007

sp(k)anning the globe

My best friend from grade school visted me. She and her husband are missionaries in Khazhakstan. I rarely get to see them... maybe once a year to see them for a couple of hours. The last time I was able to spend that much time with her was the night before and day of her wedding 10 years ago. The time spent with her this time plus 4 kids and 2 husbands was like we had just seen each other last week. She had made a comment just in passing, but it was just how we connect due to the miles between us. "It's nice to see where someone lives, because it gives me an idea of how they live, you know a picture in my head of when I talk to them. I can picture them in their surroundings." I told her I thought of that too but didn't really comprehend the depth of the statement. So, after she left, I started thinking again of all the talks and memories we passed back and forth and started really missing her. What comforted me was the pictures she showed of her city and her day to day going ons. That way, not only did I have the talks to remember but a little tidbit of being there with her after leaving my house. She is the only one that is that far away, but it really doesn't matter the miles between, I feel that way about my other best friends. Because of children, I'm not able to pick up and go see them for a weekend when I want so the only way is either email or phone. Where that is enough for a while, seeing a face is much better.