May 14, 2012

It's not heavy, you're my brother

Tough, tough last week.  It started Sunday, just not feeling right.  The boys had the stomach flu which lasted 2 days.  It is so hard to see any of my kids sick.  Between my two boys, Mowgli got it the worst.  For a full day, Ethan regained his energy by doing Highlights, watching PBS, eating Saltines and drinking watered down apple juice.  Mowgli and I on the other hand were on the couch.  He would drink his water halfway and 15 -30 minutes later, puke it out.  At least his body demanded he keep drinking in spite of his heaving stomach.  Every time he would sleep, I would rush to get the household basics done.

By the time the end of the second day finished and tummies were healed, we were all ready to disappear into our own little corners or outside... anywhere but in the living room.


However, I still had this weight I just couldn't get past.  Was I getting the flu?  Is my Mom ok?  Is Jen ok?  Was Barrett's work getting to me?   Then I had my own temper tantrum.. about everything.  Mowgli took it in stride as he is used to me talking to myself.

I found out on Saturday 7 people needed to be desperately prayed for..and I was too busy to give everything  up to the Lord.

Worse... I added to it with my own temper tantrum.














Being a follower of Christ doesn't just mean having your own spiritual burden lifted from your shoulders by Christ. It means actively seeking out those who need help, and shouldering their burdens with them. Service to others is a critical part of the Christian faith. 






Realizing this I was again reminded of the Navy Seals practice of carrying a water filled raft. Each have their own burden, but that burden makes the burden easier on the other soldiers.    Even though no one heard my outburst, I felt petty and childish.   Imagine me doing this among a bunch of Navy Seals.. 







However, my own burdens are not to be dismissed.  The Lord and I will work through them and in the future do my job well so as not to add to the water in the raft.



I  lift Mike, Jen, Mom, Kathy, Heather, Lisa and Lynn up to the Lord for his blessing and pray He protect them, guide them and heal them.  I pray the people that are with them gain wisdom, strenth and patience to comfort them.  In Jesus Name I pray.  Amen.